Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG
The A 45 AMG sees Mercedes-AMG embarking on a new era. For the first time in the company’s history extending back over more than 45 years, Mercedes-Benz’s performance brand is offering a fascinating high-performance vehicle in the compact class. The A 45 AMG is representative of the “AMG Performance 50” strategy for the future, which is to run up to the 50th birthday of Mercedes-AMG GmbH in 2017. With a maximum output of 265 kW (360 hp) and up to 450 Newton metres of torque, the AMG 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo engine is the most powerful series production four-cylinder engine in the world. The sensational power density of 133 kW (181 hp) outstrips even the most powerful super sports cars. At the same time, the engine also boasts supreme efficiency and complies with the EU6 emissions standard. The A 45 AMG also leads its segment in terms of fuel consumption, running on 6.9 litres per 100 kilometres in NEDC combined mode.These credentials indicate that a further high-performing member of the BlueDIRECT family is now taking to the road. The performance-oriented AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive onboard the A 45 AMG sets new standards in the car’s segment.
Twin-scroll turbocharger and AMG sports exhaust systemwith
Mercedes-AMG addresses the essential challenges concerning the response of small-displacement turbo engines by means of a twin-scroll turbocharger, maximum derestriction of the exhaust system and an innovative injection strategy. The twin-scroll technology provides for a more spontaneous build-up of charge pressure, making effective use of exhaust gas back pressure, exhaust gas temperature and exhaust gas impulse. This results in a swifter build-up of torque right from the lower rev range. As a positive side-effect, the twin-scroll technology also benefits fuel consumption and exhaust emissions. At a maximum charge pressure of 1.8 bar, the AMG 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo engine also leads the field in this respect.
The AMG sports exhaust system features large pipe cross-sections and an automatically controlled exhaust flap. This technology, which is familiar from the SLK 55 AMG, reconciles the two apparently conflicting aims of tangible dynamism and hallmark Mercedes comfort on long journeys. The flap is continuously adjusted by map control according to the power called up by the driver, load status and engine speed. The two striking tailpipes of the AMG sports exhaust system emit a fascinating, full engine sound which is particularly impressive during powerful acceleration.
An AMG Performance exhaust system with exhaust flap and featuring a dedicated tailpipe trim design is optionally available for the A 45 AMG. This provides for an even more emotional and striking engine sound when the throttle is open and during gear shifting. The double-declutching function during downshifting and the interruption of ignition and injection during upshifting under full load produce a particularly throaty sound with the AMG Performance exhaust system and create a level of emotionality which is otherwise the reserve of engines with more than 4 cylinders.
High-performance cooling system with components from the SLS AMG
The high driving dynamics of the A 45 AMG call for a highly effective cooling system. On the basis of the components belonging to the SLS AMG, a low-temperature circuit is additionally deployed for air-water charge air cooling of the four-cylinder turbo engine. The large cooler section at the front level of the cooling module is supplemented by an additional cooler in the wheel arch. Together with the charge air cooler which is connected in series, a high-performance electric pump ensures the required flow through the water coolers located behind the large intake ports. This provides for ideal cooling of the highly compressed charge air, thereby contributing towards optimum engine performance.
Cooling of the transmission oil is integrated in the water cooling circuit for the engine. The water cooler positioned behind the front apron is supported by the heat exchanger which is fitted directly on the transmission and supplied with cooling water as required by means of an auxiliary pump.
Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG Data
- Displacement – 1991 cc
- Bore x stroke – 83.0 x 92.0 mm
- Compression ratio – 8.6 : 1
- Output – 265 kW (360 hp) at 6000 rpm
- Max. torque – 450 Nm at 2250 – 5000 rpm
- Engine weight (dry) – 148 kg
- Maximum engine speed – 6700 rpm
- Power density – 133 kW (181 hp)
- Peak pressure – up to 140 bar
- Maximum charge pressure – 1.8 bar
- Fuel consumption NEDC combined – 6.9 – 7.1 l/100 km
- CO2 emissions – 161-165 g/km
- Emissions standard – EU6
- Acceleration 0-100 km/h – 4.6 s
- Top speed – 250km/h
Numerous individualisation options are available for the A 45 AMG (selection):
- AMG Aerodynamics package: AMG rear aerofoil, additional flics in front apron, larger front splitter
- AMG carbon-fibre exterior mirror housing
- AMG Exterior Carbon-Fibre package: front splitter, side sill panel inserts and trim on rear apron in genuine carbon fibre
- AMG rear aerofoil
- AMG Exclusive package
- AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels in 8 x 19 fitted with 235/35 R 19 tyres, in two variants: painted in titanium grey with high-sheen finish or in matt black with high-sheen rim flange
- AMG Night package: privacy glass, black anodised waistline trim strip, black tailpipe trims in chromed finish, radiator fins in silver chrome, high-gloss black painted finish for front splitter, exterior mirrors, side sill panel inserts and rear apron trim
- AMG Performance exhaust system incl. tailpipe trims in specific design
- AMG Performance suspension with tauter spring/damper tuning
- AMG Performance steering wheel and E-SELECT lever, electronic key with AMG emblem
- AMG Performance seats
- AMG wheel bolt covers in black with hub caps in central-locking look (for standard AMG light-alloy wheels only)
- Red painted callipers