I am hoping that the new tradition of an incident in the first bend and a Safety Car from the word go doesn’t catch on but at least Hockenheim only left us waiting a minute or two before we were back in the thick of the action.
Nico Rosberg made a superb start to the German Grand Prix ahead of both Williams into the first corner. Kevin Magnussen too made a great start in his McLaren which unfortunately ended in tears as he contacted with Felipe Massa’s William’s, flipping the car on its top and damaging his own front wing.
With sparks flying and debris sent flying, the incident looked much more spectacular than it was as Massa was in no danger. His race however was once again ended prematurely by another driver.
Lewis Hamilton, who started down in 20th due to a crash in qualifying, was able to capitalise on the chaos and take a big leap in clawing his way to the top of the heap.
Daniil Kvyat provided the next “Oh Sh…” moment later in the race as his Toro Rosso burst into flames due to an overheating battery cell. While Hamilton almost ended his climb with a collision with former team mate Jenson Button, damaging his Mercedes and possibly slowing him down just enough that he struggled to catch Valtteri Bottas in the closing stages of the race, only managing a third place finish behind the Finn.
Fernando Alonso once again took the Ferrari fight to Red Bull. This time however there was less banter over the team radios as he fought with Daniel Ricciardo to eventually manage a 5th place behind Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel.
Rosenberg’s lead now extends to 14 points from Hamilton as they leave most drivers fighting it out for the best of the rest almost 100 points behind.
|Nico Rosberg||Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team||
|Lewis Hamilton||Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team||
|Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing||
|Fernando Alonso||Scuderia Ferrari||
|Valtteri Bottas||Williams F1 Team||
|Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull Racing||
|Nico Hülkenberg||Sahara Force India F1 Team||
|Jenson Button||Vodafone McLaren Mercedes||
|Kevin Magnussen||Vodafone McLaren Mercedes||
|Felipe Massa||Williams F1 Team||
|Sergio Pérez||Sahara Force India F1 Team||
|Kimi Räikkönen||Scuderia Ferrari||
|Jean-Éric Vergne||Scuderia Toro Rosso||
|Romain Grosjean||Lotus F1 Team||
|Daniil Kvyat||Scuderia Toro Rosso||
|Jules Bianchi||Marussia F1 Team||
|Adrian Sutil||Sauber F1 Team|
|Esteban Gutiérrez||Sauber F1 Team|
|Max Chilton||Marussia F1 Team|
|Pastor Maldonado||Lotus F1 Team|
|Marcus Ericsson||Caterham F1 Team|
|Kamui Kobayashi||Caterham F1 Team|
We now only have one more race before the August break and its right around the corner, almost literally, as we look to Hungaroring this coming weekend. Lewis Hamilton has won here 4 times to Nico Rosberg’s 0. But Will Rosberg carry the momentum of his German win on to extend the lead in the championship further? Let us know what you think in the comments below and on our Forums.
2. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes +00m 20.7s
3. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes +00m 22.5s
4. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault +00m 44.0s
5. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari +00m 52.4s
6. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault +00m 52.5s
7. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes +01m 04.1s
8. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes +01m 24.7s
9. Kevin Magnussen Denmark McLaren-Mercedes +1 lap
10. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes +1 lap11. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari +1 lap
12. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Renault +1 lap
13. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Renault +1 lap
14. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari +1 lap
15. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Ferrari +1 laps
16. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Caterham-Renault +2 laps
17. Max Chilton Briton Marussia-Ferrari +2 laps
18. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Caterham-Renault +2 laps
Rtd. Adrian Sutil Germany Sauber-Ferrari 47 laps completed
Rtd. Daniil Kvyat Russia Toro Rosso-Renault 44 laps completed
Rtd. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 26 laps completed
Rtd. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 0 laps completed
Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 19.908s Lap 53
all results unofficial
Images and Results: Crash.net