Families are important to all of us, whether you are a parent or a child. And due to the speed of our ever changing lifestyles, we don’t realise that we may do certain things that create risk for those around us. VW wanted to see if they can do more and also do this without ruining your driving enjoyment, as they see you as you see your own family, and they want you to come home safe and sound every time.
VW spends millions and millions each and every year developing and researching safety systems, to keep its customers as safe as can be. But they can only do so much, the driver is a massive factor, and as we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, drivers can do some very risky things that are not worth the risk. VW decided it was time to try something else, something that will get inside the head of the drivers, and to do this, they used the one thing they all love the most, their children.
They tested this experiment with several families, and were surprised by the result.
- One family had no recorded speed infringements after the installation of the personalised speed dial
- One family reduced their top speed by 19kmh from a max of 123km to a max of 104km
- Half of the drivers’ maximum speeds reduced after fitting their personalised speed dial
- Three out of the four drivers reduced their incidence of speeding in 100km zones by 50%.
- Overall, all of the families reduced their speed in multiple driving situations.
And they achieved all of this, with a simple speed dial cover, that their children made to remind them, that a simple lapse in judgment could result in a serious accident, and that they just wanted them to come home safe.