Right now as it stands, with only 10 points separating the top two Mercedes drivers and a bright red Ferrari with Sebastian Vettel At the helm nipping at their heals, the one thing Hamilton really needs is a Hamilton track.
However the cracks in Mercedes armour continue to show them selves as the did disastrously in Monaco and again in free practice as a bad tyre choice of intermediates during a downpour sent Hamilton into a barrier.Meanwhile a dry run with the new upgrades working well saw Vettel flying in his Ferrari to set some of the fastest sector times of the day.
Qualifying on the other hand went entirely in Hamilton favour as the dryer conditions helped place him comfortably on the top grid position for his 44th career poll. Rosberg sits beside him as is the seasons tradition while the two Fins Raikkonen and Bottas in their Ferrari and Williams respectively fill the second row. Williams particularly looking a lot stronger in both practice and qualifying then that have thus far this season, with up grades to the car looking to give them good pace on the second runners Ferrari.
Speaking on Ferrari you may be wondering what happened to Seb. The German suffering a power unit problem, Ferrari’s first major failure this season, landed him down the grid entirely and to make matters worse for Vettle he was later handed am additional five place grid penalty for passing Roberto Merhi under red flags during Free Practice 3 earlier in the weekend leaving him a lot of traffic to get through in the opening laps of the race if he would have any chance of a podium step.
Roger Baillie (@Rojn8r)
Full qualifying times for round seven of the 2015 Formula 1 World Championship (F1), the Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal.1. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 14.393s
2. Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 14.702s
3. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 15.014s
4. Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes 1m 15.102s
5. Romain Grosjean FRA Lotus-Mercedes 1m 15.194s
6. Pastor Maldonado VEN Lotus-Mercedes 1m 15.329s
7. Nico Hulkenberg GER Force India-Mercedes 1m 15.614s
8. Daniil Kvyat RUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 16.079s
9. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 16.114s
10. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 16.338s11. Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 16.042s
12. Max Verstappen NED Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 16.245s*
13. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari 1m 16.262s
14. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 16.276s
15. Felipe Nasr BRZ Sauber-Ferrari 1m 16.620s
16. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 17.344s
17. Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes 1m 17.886s
18. Roberto Merhi ESP Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 19.133s
19. Will Stevens GBR Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 19.157s
20. Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda no time
* denotes driver due to take 15-place grid penalty
all times unofficial