This month’s big job was carpets. I drove the car down to Kohl Road and Custom, just a couple of kilometres from me, to get a new custom carpet made. I’d done some testing to make sure things were working as much as possible. Steering, brakes, seatbelt on the driver’s seat, and I got my wife to drive down behind me just in case of any incidents. Everything was fine except for one problem – the slip ring I modified on the steering wheel isn’t right, and every time I steered the car, the horn beeped! So all the way down there I was randomly beeping at everyone. Embarrassing!

robs-audi-ur-quattro-084707

I stopped and put 20l of fuel in there as it was running on fumes by this point. Then it was a short (still beeping) run around the corner to drop off the car.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-083615 robs-audi-ur-quattro-084732 robs-audi-ur-quattro-084811

Three days later I got a call from Carol at Kohl to say it was all done. These guys don’t muck around!

And look at the job they did, it looks amazing.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-5358 robs-audi-ur-quattro-5359 robs-audi-ur-quattro-5360 robs-audi-ur-quattro-5361 robs-audi-ur-quattro-5362 robs-audi-ur-quattro-5363 robs-audi-ur-quattro-5366

They covered the sides of the centre console too to match.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-190740

I bought a set of mats a few months ago, and I finally got to fit them. The pins that hold them in were rusty, so I cleaned them up and painted them.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-203735 robs-audi-ur-quattro-204235

The new window regulator arrived from the UK. Here it is next to the original one. The new one is on the left. Quite a different layout but it fitted in fine.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-124158

When I slotted the window into place I found a problem – the holes in the moving bracket for the window were nowhere near where they needed to be. Several hours later and after fitting and removing the whole thing several times I finally got it fitted, and the window closed. It’s really stiff going up so needs some more adjustment or lubrication or something. More investigation needed, but at least I can close the window now.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-111849

At this point I was starting to run out of things to do to avoid tackling that wiring. I re-fitted the rear side panels.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-155236 robs-audi-ur-quattro-203513 robs-audi-ur-quattro-203531 robs-audi-ur-quattro-210347

Then I caved and fitted the centre console.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-201829

Pulled the appropriate wires through.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-201751

And fastened everything in place.

img_20161016_165834

One of the challenges was working out which pipe went where on the diff lock switch. With some Googling and trial and error I think I got it right but the diff locks aren’t behaving as they should, so there’s work to do there.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-201746

To test out the diff locks I had to have the engine running as they’re vacuum operated, which would have been a bit silly to do in the garage, so out Rusty came into the sun for a while.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-155246

Even with the mucky paint it looks so awesome. I’m holding out until Finer Details NZ can work their magic on it.

robs-audi-ur-quattro-155301 robs-audi-ur-quattro-155303 robs-audi-ur-quattro-161936

hdr
hdr

Follow the full Project Rusty build here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.