Still no WoF, but I’m getting there, slowly! The list has a lot of things crossed off.

The speedo was working when I took Rusty for its WoF, but stopped again on the way home. So I ordered a sensor from VW, which is similar, but not identical to the Audi one. The connector and shape are different.

First test wasn’t successful, and I haven’t been back to it again since as I’ve been working on other things.

I’d been having issues with the battery going flat, and drain seemed to be minimal so I bought a new battery. I also swapped the earth cable for something more convincing.

I also bought a Matson battery monitor to keep track of it.

I sent my driver side tie rod off to HBI Engineering in Christchurch to be refurbished, and it came back after a few days as good as new. Great service, I definitely recommend them.

Once the proper steering arm was fitted, I took Rusty back to Firestone to get the wheel alignment sorted.

They also re-bled the brakes and re-aligned the exhaust. Then it was off for a chat to Chris at Final Touch Wellington to book in for a full paint correction and ceramic coat. Can’t wait to see the results! I had the opportunity to snap this little dose of 80’s goodness.

Then it was off to Kohl Rod and Custom to get the rusty hole fixed in the sill, and a battery holding strap fabricated, because there was nothing holding the battery in place in case of an accident.

I managed to sneak in a sneaky school run on the way with my daughter.

While I was waiting for parts to arrive I started thinking about the stereo again. I’d been having a problem getting the Out of Sight Audio working properly, it had a loud background hiss. After trying various troubleshooting steps I finally sent it back to the US for replacement.

The door speakers were bothering me as they didn’t quite sit straight, so I bought some small spacers to push them out and make them sit properly.

I received my little Bluetooth remote, which works really well. Just need to find a subtle place to put it.

Finally I did some work on the speech unit. The WR quattro has a talking dash system, designed to reduce the need for lots of warning lights in the dash cluster. Mine wasn’t working, so I started to investigate, and found a few issues.

Firstly these connectors were plugged together, which disables the system.

Second, someone had rather carelessly removed one of the pins from the connector. After some research I found out it was one of the two speaker pins! I repaired this and connected it to one of the original dash speakers.

After lots of cursing and some tinkering, success!

Since then, Patrizia has been a bit intermittent, varying in volume and not always working. It appears the wiring is okay but the unit might have a loose connection.

So I’m much closer to being on the road, just that speed to fix and I’m there!


Follow the full Project Rusty build here.

Previous articlee-Power: Nissan’s Idea of a Hybrid Future
Next articleProject FZ12 : Fraser & Zac’s Hand Built Supercar – Part 22: Intake system
Rob Clubley
I love everything about cars! Driving, looking at them, modifying. It's great to see what people do with cars, the different car cultures. If I was rich, my garage would be bigger than my house!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.