MG says its new MG4 EV is an all-electric hatchback designed to offer customers affordable, zero-emissions motoring without compromise.
With a starting price of $51,990 (NZD) plus on-road costs, MG’s first fully-electric hatchback is the first to use the new Modular Scalable Platform (MSP) that will underpin a new generation of MGs, featuring rear-wheel drive, 50:50 weight distribution and thin battery technology.
Three specifications are offered:
- MG4 64kWh Excite
- MG4 64kWh Essence
- MG4 77kWh Essence (Long Range)
The MG4 range offers battery capacities from 64kWh to 77kWh, while MG says the range is capable of up to 530km on the WLTP cycle for 77kWh Essence Long Range, with 64kWh Excite capable of 450km (WLTP) and 64kWh Essence at 435km (WLTP) respectively.
All models in the range qualify for the full Clean Car rebate.
“Excitement and anticipation have been building since we confirmed MG4 will be made available for fans of no emission motoring,” said Patrick Bourke, Country Manager for MG New Zealand.
“We believe the MG4 will be the reason for many more people to make the switch to fully electric vehicle thanks to an impressive range of 530km WLTP from the 77kWh battery, outstanding driving dynamics courtesy of 50:50 weight distribution – plus the fact it’s one of the best looking new EV’s available.”
The 64kWh battery is also capable of recharging at up to 138kW, meaning a charge time of only 28 minutes from 10% – 80% using a 150kW DC rapid charger. MG New Zealand claims the MG4 EV is expected to bring zero-emissions motoring within reach for far more NZ customers, representing an affordable, credible alternative to conventional petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles.
The MG4 EV also carries MG’s trademark 7-year unlimited kilometre warranty as standard, which remains one of the longest fully-transferable warranties in the country.
MG4 EV: At a glance
- Current prices from $51,990 (NZD) plus on-road costs* for 64kWh Excite, $54,990 (NZD) plus on-road costs* for 64kWh Essence, $63,990 (NZD) plus on-road costs* for the 77kWh Essence.
- Centred around four key features: space, technology, affordability and driver engagement.
- The first fully-electric MG hatchback and the first MG to utilise the all-new Modular Scalable Platform (MSP) hits Kiwi shores.
- New MSP offers 50:50 weight distribution and a rear-wheel drive configuration.
- Boot space: 1,177 litres with seats folded and 363 with seats in place.
- Currently, there are two choices of two battery options – 64kWh (Standard Range) and 77kWh (Long Range) with 51kWh and X-Power dual-motor AWD variant under consideration to join the rest of the range closer to launch in H2 2023.
- Available in three trim levels: 64kWh Excite, 64kWh Essence and 77kWh Essence Long Range.
- MG Pilot advanced driver assistance is standard on both the 64kWh and 77kWh Essence, with Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Door Opening Warning.
- iSMART system integrates car, internet, and user communication, now with voice activation and remote control features on Essence models.
- 7-year, unlimited kilometre fully-transferable warranty as standard
Read our review of the MG ZS EV here.