Holden VF Commodore
Holden has taken the wraps off its stunning new performance sedan show car ahead of the VF Commodore’s international debut as the Chevrolet SS Sports Sedan in the USA this weekend. Unveiled as a precursor to the new VF Commodore sport luxury range, the new VF SS V show car applies a serious performance edge to the luxury hero concept Holden previewed in the VF Calais V earlier this week.
The new VF Commodore will introduce a range of technology firsts for an Australian car, including Reverse Traffic Alert, Head-up Display, Blind Spot Alert, Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and Auto Park Assist when it arrives in Australian showrooms mid-year.
The VF Commodore sport luxury range is more refined than any car previously produced by Holden, embodying the same design sophistication, premium appointments and attention to detail as the Calais V luxury sport concept.
The SS V has a mature, new aerodynamic exterior design, which has been finished in eye-catching custom Fantale orange metallic paint specially created by Holden for the show car.
Inside, the SS V benefits from a sleek, new interior design layered with up-scale finishes of suede, galvano chrome, gloss black and perforated leather with accent stitching. The result is a premium-grade cabin detailed with motorsport-inspired touches including carbon fibre look cross-car applique, stitched leather instrument binnacle and sports profile leather steering wheel.
- Custom Kandy ‘Fantale’ metallic paint finish.
- Twin five-spoke 20-inch wheels, hand-machined in billet aluminium, custom finished in gloss black.
- Front Brembo brake calipers finished in gloss silver.
- Wide, dominant front fascia features traditional sports grille and a prominent lower air intake, both laced in custom gunmetal chrome.
- Sculpted, jewelled halogen projector headlamps with black bezels curve into prominent front fenders, flared, aero-modified wheel arches.
- Muscular lower fascia incorporates LED daylight running lamps and black bezel fog lamps, custom gunmetal chrome accents, outboard extensions integrated into sharp sports rockers.
- Prominent VF aluminium hood with centre crease emphasises performance potential; two raking spears sweep from the A-pillars.
- Low, wide VF rear sports fascia – streamlined graphics with integrated tail lamps, aluminium decklid, body-colour bib spoiler, custom gloss black finish sports valance incorporating licence plate and quad V8 exhausts.
- In profile, vertical fender vents and window surrounds are finished in custom gunmetal chrome.
True to tradition, the SS V-Series show car is designed for maximum look-at-me impact. The performance show car is a custom-finished, ‘amped up’ pointer to the VF sports range, to be launched mid-2013. It’s muscular design is enhanced with a bespoke paint job in brilliant metallic orange, contrasted against glossy black multi-spoke wheels. Striking exterior treatment aside, the preview gives prospective buyers an idea of what to expect when Holden’s VF sport luxury range makes its showroom debut. Under spotlights, the show car’s glowing finish emphasises the more sculpted, layered surfacing and bolder graphics that give the VF SS V-Series Commodore a powerfully different sports design character and complement its classic rear drive performance car proportion.
- All-new instrument panel with integrated centre stack combines high-resolution Holden MyLink infotainment system with 8-inch touch screen, climate and other controls.
- Ergonomically advanced design relocates controls to more convenient positions, introduces console-mounted electric park brake control.
- Cowled, angled instrument dials flank a LCD Driver Information Display screen with colour graphics.
- All-new seat structures combine sports back and high-bolstered side support.
- High-quality, layered finishes in smooth soft-feel leather and suede with perforated leather inserts are accented by contrast twin-needle and deck stitching.
- Sports profile leather wrap steering wheel design is motorsport-inspired.
- Ice blue ambient lighting illuminates lower centre console and door pull recesses.
- Extra large dual cup holders can accommodate a wide range of container sizes.
The show car’s impressive cabin layout is the real deal – entirely new and close to mainstream VF SS V production design intent. The theme is well-appointed sport luxury: dark-toned, subtle and sophisticated. The feel is first class. This is a carefully considered ergonomic design, defined by the use of high-quality materials, careful tailoring, craftsmanship and comfort. Nothing has escaped attention – from the instrument panel and centre console with its advanced infotainment graphic interface to the motorsport-inspired steering wheel, the switches, the shifter and the new electric park brake. Bolstered sports-profile seats are tailored in soft, jet-black leather and suede with perforated leather inserts and contrast stitching. There are reflective accents in galvano chrome and gloss black; new instrument graphics gleam in deep-cowled cluster housings beneath a stitched leather binnacle.